If you browse through historical views of coburg, you’ll find the veste, ehrenburg, morizkirche, various city gates, handsome mansions, and perhaps even the rittersteichschlosschen (little knight’s pond castle). But views of the hahn river or the hahn path are hardly to be discovered. But the hahnweg had some meaning for coburg.
Actually there were two hahnwege, the upper and the lower one, which became the rosenauer strabe. The strabe takes its name from the hahn river, which in the middle ages was laid out parallel to the itz over a length of 3800 meters. It probably fed the rittersteich, was used by mills and tanners, and fed into the city stream. Next to the hahnmuhle (today a hotel) stood the hahntor, of which there are only a few replicas: it was demolished in 1803.
Duke ernst I. From saxony-coburg and gotha dear at the beginning of the 19. The rosenauer strabe was extended at the beginning of the twentieth century. Under his son, duke ernst II., the land was further developed: a bathing meadow was created (probably mainly for the military), from which a bathing establishment grew. From 1875 it was called "hahnweg" city swimming school. A year earlier the hahnweg north of it had been rebuilt.
All kinds of trades
From the beginning, there were trades on hahnweg: there were tanners, an iron tannery (langenstein& schemann, today lasco). From the middle of the 19th century. At the beginning of the 20th century, a brickyard, malt factories, a cinema, several inns and a sparkling wine factory were added to the list. In 1893, the alexandrinenbauverein built 24 housing units for workers, which are now listed as historical monuments.
In 1926 adolf waldrich founded his mechanical engineering factory in hahnweg, followed in 1927 by the kaeser company, which also operated one of the first gas stations in the city.
Even before that, in 1910, the hahnweggemeinde had been founded, actually an association. But the chairman called himself "burgermeister", and the associations had a similar function as today the castle associations in the city districts. This was also the case on hahnweg: the reason for its construction is said to have been the protest against the increased price of beer at the "vogelschieben". But the association also started to work for better street lighting.
Socializing was not neglected: the 20 founding members (all mannerly) bowled together and paid a monthly membership fee of 20 pfennigs. The young association also organized bowling competitions (prize bowling or "auskegeln"), which brought money into the association’s coffers.
New start after the war
After the first world war, the association revived and continued to devote itself to socializing. 1935 the hahnweg community was brought into line – the national socialists did not tolerate independent associations. Somehow, however, community life must have continued: in 1937 the first omnibus excursion took place. The second world war brought the community life to a standstill again. It was not until 1950 that albin wank, christian beiersdorfer and albin muller revived the hahnweg community.
Albin muller served as burgermeister. The hahnweg congregation met monthly and held a "kirchweih" once a year. However, this had to be celebrated at first in the scheidmantel hall in cortendorf, because none of the still existing hahnweg inns had an appropriate hall. But then a hall was built at the "bergstubchen" club inn was built, which was celebrated for three days. In addition, every year on the 1st of january, the municipality put up. May a maypole on.
In 1954 the hahnweg community opened for women, in 1956 there were 70 members of the association. From 1959 the "lime tree" served as a club inn, because the bergstubchen had been closed down. 1964 followed the move to the local "zur veste". The 60. In 1970, however, the congregation celebrated its founding anniversary in the city center, at the "goldene traube". The women of the community founded their "hens club" in 1961, which existed until 1991. Anni weiland was the chairwoman from start to finish.
1956 the rear part of the hahnweg "between the bakery in the lohmuhle and the rear driveway of the company waldrich" was opened asphalted. In 1967 the hahn river was piped. The front part of hahnweg, which had been paved by prisoners of war in the first years of the war, was paved in 1974. "Burgermeister reinhold eichhorn had been able to enforce this with the city. In addition, the community proposed to create a connection to rosenauer strabe in order to relieve the southern part of hahnweg. The road was heavily congested because of the city bus and truck traffic to the waldrich, kaeser and lasco businesses. The badweg and the kneippweg were built as a pedestrian connection.
During hikes, the community members noticed the poor condition of the gustav freytag fountain. In over 1000 hours of voluntary work they restored it to its former glory. The church community was also supported: a festival organized by the hahnweg community raised 5,000 marks so that an organ could be purchased for the community room.
This festival developed into the "stadtrandfest", which the hahnweg community helped organize until 1992. Also celebrated was the 70th anniversary of the. Foundation anniversary and the carnival. The 1980s brought some turbulence: in 1982, the entire board resigned, the new mayor did not serve for long, and in 1983, rainer ultsch took the helm as mayor. Regular meetings and celebrations, bus excursions and hikes dominate club activities.
In 2002, the association had to go on the road again: the association’s venue, bausenberg, closed down. The hahnweg community moved to the DJK/viktoria sports center, which was also home to the pulverberg community. But that was the end of 2004. Now the "herb garden" has been chosen as domicile.
However, the average age of the members had already risen sharply, and their numbers had been declining steadily since the 1980s. Mayor rainer ultsch still had two successors: norbert conrad (2005 to 2015) and ursula kessler (from 2015). At the end, the community still had 14 members, on average over 80 years old. Therefore, in 2019, it was decided that the hahnweg community should disband after 110 years. This was announced on 15. July 2020 completed. The club’s records are now in the city archives.