The charred body had been recovered from the trumps of the wooden building near the village of ojen, north of marbella. An autopsy should establish the identity of the victim beyond doubt. Initially it had been said that the dead man was a 78-year-old briton.
The police had ordered the evacuation of the entire village of ojen due to the fire. The german had apparently returned early to his house, where he had been living with his dogs, according to the newspaper sur.
The inferno of flames was the most devastating in the region in more than 20 years. According to fire department estimates, more than 5,000 hectares of forest and scrubland burned down around the towns of mijas, coin, ojen and marbella. Five people were injured, including a mother with two children who had been flooded into a cave.
The firefighting teams brought the flames under control on saturday. At times 6500 inhabitants of several villages had to leave their homes. Tourist hotels were also evacuated. The fire department succeeded in preventing the fire from spreading to the center of ojen and to the sierra de las nieves nature park.
The government of the region of andalusia assumed that arsonists started the fire. On the other hand, "sur" reported, referring to investigators, that the fire may have been caused by negligence – such as the unauthorized burning of a stubble field or by a campfire of hikers.
The fire broke out on thursday at coin in the mountains of the sierra negra. As a result of strong winds and high temperatures, the flames spread in three different directions at a speed of more than ten kilometers per hour. In the noble neighborhoods of marbella several villas were a raid of flames.
The fire also spread to an estate belonging to the singer julio iglesias. "Miraculously, the apartment building was not damaged," the musician, who had not been in the area at the time of the fire, told the newspaper "sur". "But the entire tree stand was destroyed. This is a tragedy for me, because I had planted the plantation years ago with my own hands," said iglesias.
Since the beginning of the year, the fires in spain destroyed about 153,000 hectares of forest, according to the ministry of agriculture. This is three times more than in the corresponding period of the previous year.